Monday, February 25, 2013

OC Turf Club wins 2012/2013 Club of the Year

Greetings Turfies,

It's amazing how quickly a year can pass by. Over the course of a year, the Turf Club has accomplished so many goals because of the hard work displayed by our dedicated members. As previously mentioned in past blogs, we, as a club, are committed to provide our Turfgrass program with an enjoyable atmosphere where students can communicate, develop skills and learn the importance of investing in yourself as you develop in to a successful professional.

As a result of achieving so many of our goals, along with our ability to excel in providing our program and the rest of campus with fun events, we have received the 2012/2013 OCSA Club of the Year Award. What an outstanding accomplishment! The last time the Turf Club brought home this prestigious honor was amazingly back in 1997/1998. I was five years old at the time, if you can believe that! Over the past few years, several passionate students became heavily involved with the club and together we have provided the best club the college has to offer. Well done and Congratulations, everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone who has made such an incredible impact on the club this year, and to those in the past who have helped me set up for success. We've worked extremely hard for this and we definitely deserve it! I'm looking forward to see what Brian Thomas, the incoming Turf Club President, is able to do next year. Brian has shown tremendous leadership abilities this year and his passion towards club success is clearly demonstrated by his continuous involvement. He has a strong nucleus of fellow students to work with next year and everyone is excited to continue this winning tradition. He and his classmates have already outlined new ideas to make the club even better.

The responsibility of club President this year has amplified my career development and personal growth. At only 20 years old, I've been fortunate enough to experience the challenge of managing people, delegating tasks to members, planning and executing club meetings and much more. My "Four Pillars For Success", being leadership, communication, organization and motivation, have drastically improved this year and as a result I feel more confident in my ability to succeed in the industry. My résumé has taken off to the next level and I'm looking forward to applying these skills I've learned at The Fairmont Banff Springs this summer. I will always encourage everyone to become as involved as I was with the Turf Club, as it is truly an opportunity of a lifetime.

Best Regards,

Jordan (Scooter) Collins

Turf Club President