Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Recapping the 50th Annual WCTA Conference

Greetings everyone,

March has begun, and instead of sitting in the classroom the last few days, I've been in Penticton, BC attending the 50th Annual WCTA Conference. I was graciously chosen by my peers to present a topic at the conference in front of some of Canada's most decorated professionals. My presentation was titled "The Top 10 Values I've Learned Working at a Small Town Course and How They Will Each Benefit My Career Development." The topic was popular and many of the attendees were able to relate to my presentation, as they almost all started off their careers like I did. This blog will highlight my experiences I had over the past few days.

Aside from executing a speech in front of a couple hundred people, the focal point of this opportunity was to engage in networking. British Colombia boasts some of the most lucrative pieces of golf property in our country, so I was thrilled to meet folks from this province. Paul Robertson of Victoria GC, Brian Youell of Uplands GC and Assistants hailing from Tobiano, Capilano and Whistler are some of the fine people I met, to name a few. Brian, the 2013 CGSA Superintendent of the Year, is especially inspiring because of his ability to overcome a near tragic event. He always loved to sit down with me and we got to know each other very well. Brian epitomizes professionalism and serves as one of great role models for fellow students and I.

To quickly summarize the speakers, my favourite was by Dr. Schad of McGill University as he simplified turf science and brought a new meaning behind "chemicals" we use in our industry. It was very interesting. Other speakers included Brian Youell, Doug Carrick, the controversial Paul Tukey and my instructor Jason Pick, amongst many more. If you're curious about any of these presentations, contact me and I'd be happy to share insight from my viewing pleasures.

I strongly encourage more students to make a presentation next year...it was another amazing opportunity for exposure. I'd like to thank Penticton for the warm hospitality and to the WCTA for hosting this great event.

Best Regards,

Jordan "Scooter" Collins
Turf Club President