Monday, April 01, 2013

2nd year in Turfgrass


After finishing the first year of the Turf program here at Olds, I was excited to go back to work for the season.  The job had changed from a summer job to pay for post-secondary to a career choice; a career I found myself excited to begin.  As the summer came to an end and the second year started, I found I had some pretty exciting expectations for the year.  I was eager to take my knowledge and experience to a whole new level.  I was also excited to be involved with the Turf Club executive board, a strong team with each individual bringing their own strengths. I quickly jumped at the chance when asked and I’m glad I did. Being involved with the Turf Club allowed me numerous opportunities to network and I can’t complain that it padded my resume nicely.

A quick look at the classes for the second year showed that several of them were turf specific.  Classes such as Advanced Golf Course Irrigation, Advanced Turfgrass Management, Golf Course Design, and Golf Course Construction gave us the opportunity to question why we chose to do certain practices and the possibility that perhaps there could be alternatives to the traditional line of thinking in Turf Management.

During the first semester Ian Morrow taught us how to audit irrigation systems in Advanced Golf Course Irrigation.  Combining this new knowledge with what Jason Pick taught in Advanced Turfgrass management, we quickly learned that simply irrigating the whole course based on the fact that that’s how it has always been done, may not necessarily be the best practice.  Golf Course Management focused on developing our personal management philosophies and gave us strategies to deal with different and unique types of conflict.

A few key benefits to these classes, besides the hands on training and key industry information being taught, include the fact that as second years, we walk away with several manuals and programs that can be easily implemented into any golf course with only a few tweaks required to personalize each manual. Advanced Turfgrass Management saw us end the course by building a manual that included a complete cultural calendar, a winter protection manual, and a fertility program for not only greens, but also tees, fairways and rough. Golf Course Management saw us build an employee manual that included employee etiquette standards, best management practices for all areas of the course, and a functioning job board that meets all of the described best management practices. Dave Moroz taught Advanced Golf Course Soils and had us build our own Turf Fertility Calculator. This calculator allows us to input a wide range of information and show us the best way to attend to the turf and the soil on our courses.

All of these manuals are going to be a major asset to me as I enter the industry as a manager. I know and trust these manuals and calculators and firmly believe that I will continually use them throughout the years.  The fact that I am walking away from my second year fully equipped with several tools that I have developed, has allowed me to fully appreciate even more the effort and direction all of our instructors poured into us over the last eight months. The second year of the Turfgrass Management program goes over and beyond to ensure that you are able to leave Olds and enter the industry as a fully equipped professional.

Jay Green