Thursday, April 18, 2013

4th year in Turfgrass Directed Field Study (DFS)

After completing my Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management at The University of Guelph I moved to St Andrews to be a part of the greenkeeping team who prepared The Old Course for the 2010 Open Championship. I spent 8 months working on the ancient links and took a lot away from the experience. Then I moved to Victoria, British Columbia to work for Scott Wheeler CGCS, a mentor of mine who instrumental in my professional development. While working for Scott we had many discussions on how to advance my career, we came to the conclusion that perusing a degree would greatly benefit my advancement.

I feel fortunate that I enrolled in the Bachelor of Applied Science Degree majoring in Golf Course Management in the autumn of 2011. My pursuit of higher education allowed me to gain a better understanding and knowledge of what it takes to be a successful superintendent in the golf course industry. Most importantly, the successful completion of my third year allowed me to partake in the Directed Field Study and assisted me in finding a year round position as an Assistant Superinendent at The Glencoe Golf & Country Club.

One of the most enjoyable parts of my job is being surrounded by a management team that is passionate about producing the best possible playing conditions, as well as creating an environment that is enjoyable for all of our staff. This inspires me to put my best foot forward each day and to do what is required to assist in the management team’s quest for creating the most enjoyable experience for our membership.

Completing my Directed Field Study at The Glencoe Golf & Country Club has allowed me to develop a stronger practical skill set and has acted as a catalyst in developing my professional competencies. My mentors throughout the Directed Field Study, Kerry Watkins AGS, Shawn Major AAGS and Chris Paterson, were instrumental in my success and they will continue to mentor me throughout my career.

To support the professional development that took place throughout the past season, a Student Learning Plan was created and then revised. The updated Student Learning Plan outlines and clarifies specific educational competencies that were achieved in 2012. 

In addition to what was planned on paper, many opportunities for both personal and professional development evolved, such as, assisting Mr. Brian Vinchesi, President of Irrigation Consulting, with auditing select areas of our irrigation system, attending the AGSA and CGSA conferences, partaking in a two day heavy equipment training seminar and enrolling in a two day Arboriculture Canada tree felling course.

The Student Learning Plan played an integral role in identifying the competencies that would prove beneficial in my pursuit of professional development. Students create a report to highlight and discuss the challenges they faced while enrolled in the Bachelor of Applied Science Program. This report also discusses the completion of their learning objectives outlined in their Student Learning Plan.

I would like to point out that in my personal opinion; the Directed Field Study portion of the Bachelor of Applied Science Program at Olds College offers a unique experience to its pupils in comparison to programs that do not offer an in-depth opportunity to work within the industry.

The Directed Field Study provides chronological development. The three years of academic study prepare the foundation, allowing students to professionally develop and test their acquired skillset while employed in their respected field. You may enter into the Directed Field Study with the expectation of simply implementing the educational objectives discussed in your Student Learning Plan. However, once employment commences you must rise to the challenges of unexpected demands, changes in job description, and unplanned interruptions, all with the added pressures of real time constraints and deadlines. Quite simply, throughout the Directed Field Study, students are given the opportunity to draw upon the theory obtained from prior years’ formal education and then are required to implement the necessary competencies to successfully complete the task at hand.

Mark Kolentsis